Georgia Power Streetcar
Georgia Power Streetcar moving pictorial
Former Georgia Power streetcar #636 was donated by Neal Leggett, Jasper County Commissioner and moved to the museum in November 1998. It was found during demolition of his late grandmother's house in Monticello, Georgia. After World War II, Georgia Power sold streetcar shells (stripped of their electrical equipment) to Georgians who needed them for housing to alleviate the shortage. 636 had been built around to create her house.
Number 636 was built by the Georgia Railway and Power Company in 1924 at the Futon County Plant on Virginia Ave. in Midtown Atlanta as a copy of the 600-619 series cars which were built by the McQuire-Cummings Company at Paris, Illinois. McQuire-Cummings 62 trucks were used. It was retired by Georgia Power in 1948 one year before the last streetcar rolled in Atlanta. The most modern equipment went to South Korea and served there until the late 1960's in Seoul and Pusan.
All photos by Fred Dodds. Demolition of the house and moving was performed by Dale Grice, Fred Dodds, Jamie Reid, Gary Olson and Paul Grether over a complete weekend. They claim demolition was the hardest part of the job!
About the Museum |
Shop Online | Odds and Ends | NRHS Calendars | Comments | Visit Us