SRM Logo Southeastern Railway Museum

Diesel Locomotives


Error processing SSI file


Locomotive

Status as of  Spring 2013
Southern #8202 Shopped for mechanical work
Southern #2594 Leased to TVRM for additional power on their local trips at Chattanooga and their Hiawassee River Rail Adventures. Visit www.tvrail.com for more information about these trips.
Southern #6901 Permanent Exhibit
Southern FT B-unit #960604 Exhibit
Armco Steel #B-70 Stored pending restoration
Hartwell #2 Shopped for major mechanical overhaul
New York, Ontario, and Western #104 Exhibit
Georgia Railroad #1026 Exhibit and backup power for museum train ride
Norfolk Southern 2422 EMD MP15DC Leased power for museum train ride




Southern #8202 SW-7
Built c. 1950 by EMD for Georgia Southern, & Florida Railroad. Previously numbered 1100 and used for yard switching until 1981.
Southern #2594 GP-30
Built by EMD c. 1962, with "high nose" specific to the Southern. Sixteen cylinders, 2250-HP. Donated 1993.
Here's what it looked like after a trip through the shop at TVRM.
First revenue run after shopping August 23, 2008. Photos courtesy of Mark S Wurst Photography
More of Mark S. Wurst Photography here
Southern #6901 E8
Built in 1951 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors. Routinely powered the Atlanta-Washington D.C. portion of the famous Crescent passenger train. Was lead engine when operation of the Crescent formally changed from the Southern Railway to Amtrak in 1979. Originally numbered 2924.
Southern FT B-unit #960604 Steam Heat & Trainline Power
Constructed as complement to the full diesel locomotive ("A" unit), these "B" units are essentially locomotives without cabs. Originally containing both diesel engines and steam generators (for passenger car heating), this unit has been modified to hold only steam generation equipment.
Armco Steel #B-70 Baldwin-Westinghouse Box-cab
Built 1929, Baldwin-Westinghouse, for Butler Works of ARMCO Steel. Third diesel locomotive built by Baldwin-Westinghouse; first sold commercially; oldest Baldwin-built diesel still in existence. Has Pyrex windows to withstand steel mill temperatures. Originally had control cab on each end but both were later placed on the same end to accommodate a larger prime mover. Donated 1963.

more...(opens a new window)


Please note, while we don't know the age of this photo, the locomotive is NOT on exhbit and needs significant restoration
Hartwell #2 GE 44-ton
Built 1950 by General Electric for the Hartwell (Georgia) Railroad.
New York, Ontario, and Western #104 (formerly Hartwell #5) GE 44-ton
Built 1941 by General Electric for the New York, Ontario & Western Railroad as #104.
The museum staff completed a cosmetic restoration of the locomotive in 2005. Here's the engine's previous paint scheme 

Georgia Railroad #1026 EMD GP 7
Acquired by the museum in 2004 from Tennessee Valley Railway Museum, the locomotive was repainted to it's original 1950 paint scheme before being delivered in January 2006

Error processing SSI file